Sunday, March 30, 2008

Passionate Dancer

In dance there are not only group dances there is also the possibility that you can do a solo, a duo or even a trio. In my dance studio if the teacher feels that you are ready and have enough experience he or she will ask you privately if you would be interested. Four years ago I was asked by one of my teachers if I was interested in doing a hip-hop/gymnastics solo. I was so excited the teacher told me to ask my parents if it will be O.K. She explained to me that it will be a little more expensive since I was doing a solo plus my other group dances. I would have to buy an extra custom and also a solo fee as well as the group fees before every competition.

I rushed home and spoke to my parents about it. At first they told me that they will think about it. That was not a good enough answer for me, so I begged them until they say yes. I told them that not everyone was chosen and what a great opportunity this would be for me. I tried telling them how much this meant and how I will do what ever it takes for them to allow me to do it. They new the passion I had for dance and saw how excited I was that I was asked to do a solo. My parents agreed but made me promise one thing. They told me that I will have to keep my grades up and put my school work first. I quickly called my teacher up to tell her the good news. She was very happy and asked me if I had a specific song in mind or if she should just pick it on her own. I told her I trust her to pick a good song for me. We then agreed on a day that we could meet at the dance studio to practice, I really couldn’t wait to get started. I then told my parents how much I loved them and how I appreciated it.

No comments: