Sunday, March 30, 2008

Practice Makes Perfect

Aside from teaching dance classes, I myself take many lessons since I enjoy it so much. The class which I am in is a company class, as of right now we are practicing for a competition which we will be participating in on April 15. I dance twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday nights for an hour. If my teacher’s feel as if we need extra practice they will call an extra practice on the weekend. Besides taking my company classes I also try taking as many other dance classes just to work on my technique which every competitive dancer needs.
On Tuesday nights I take a jazz class, the teacher just finished teaching us the entire dance. Now it is up to us to keep practicing it and go over the parts of the dance that we are having difficulties with. For instance when we do the dance, there is a jazz turning sequence which is supposed to be all together but it looks very sloppy. The teacher told us that next week we will be doing the turn sequence 100 times until we get it together. Basically all that is left now is just cleaning it up and try making it perfect. Our main goal now is to have fun and do well at competition which is in a couple of weeks.
The class on Thursday night is a hip hop and lyrical. Hip Hop is one of my favorite styles of dancing; it is a more up beat type of dancing. Lyrical is very closely related to Ballet, it is a slower and more graceful type of dance. In that class, we have two dances which we are bringing to competition. Our hip hop dance is great we are almost finished learning the whole thing. Our lyrical dance is very touching, we are finished learning that one so now we just have to keep practicing it and clean it up. I can not wait to take all these dances to competition in a couple of weeks. I know that we will do great as long as we just keep up our hard work and dedication.

No comments: