Sunday, February 3, 2008

Cheer, Cheer, Cheer to get through the year!

Cheerleading is another one of my favorite hobbies. When I was eight years old I was always teaching myself how to do flips. Once I joined the dance studio and took lessons in gymnastics, I enjoyed it even more. In my elementary school they were holding cheerleading try - outs for the fifth graders. Of course I was interested in trying out because cheerleading involves dance and gymnastics which were both my passions. The try-outs went excellent and I made the team. Since I was the only one on the team who new how to flip and was so dedicated they asked me to be captain, I couldn’t have been happier. We then had many fun practices, cheered at basketball games and even went to a competition, which we did great at!

When it was time for me to choose a high school I heard that Fontbonne Hall Academy which is a private school in Bay Ridge had a great cheerleading team. When I tried out I made it! Right away I was ecstatic. The practices were harder and the hours were longer, but all the time and effort I put in was well worth it. My coaches were hard on us and knew how to push us the right way so that we would work to our potentials. In the end it made us high school champions four years in a row as well as second in the nation in our division at a competition in Virginia. Cheerleading has taught me many things such as team work, commitment, and dedication. As well as when you succeed right away never give up, just hold your head up high and try again.

No comments: