Friday, February 1, 2008

The Start Of Something New




Hi, my name is Josephine but I prefer to be called Jo-Jo. It is short and sweet, just like me. What I enjoy most besides hanging out with my family and friends is dancing and cheering. I've been dancing for ten years and cheering for eight years. I used to live in Bensonhurst and then my parents wanted to move. I was very upset. When I moved into my new house, it was very boring and I wanted to go out and do something that I loved doing as well as meeting people. It just so happened that my next door neighbor, Carrie, was telling me that she was going to open up a dance studio in the neighborhood. I was very excited. Dance definitely caught my attention.

A couple of months later my next door neighbor opened up her dance studio and that’s where my dance career began. When I first walked in the studio I was very nervous but excited at the same time. Carrie introduced me to my first dance teacher, Michelle. Michelle taught hip hop and gymnastics. I loved the class and I never wanted to leave. She then told me that I have a lot talent and encouraged me to take more classes so I would learn new techniques to become an even better dancer. Michelle and I became very close. She was my role model. She then asked me if I wanted to be her assistant. I was so happy. From then on I always enjoyed going to dance and learning new styles. After Michelle influenced my life so much, I decided that I wanted to become a dance teacher as well and help other people the way she helped me. Even though Michelle recently moved to California to pursue her own career in dance, I will never forget anything that she taught me; never to give up and always follow my dreams.

No comments: